Online retail website Flipkart is selling the iPhone 6 at Rs 21,999 for a limited period to commemorate Father’s Day. The iPhone 6, on a regular day, sells for Rs 36,990 on the same platform. That’s Rs 14,991 discount, which is fairly substantial to say the least. Additionally, the platform is also offering Rs 15,000 off on exchange which should get you the iPhone 6 for cheaper still. But, there’s a catch. The iPhone 6 is an almost three year old phone. At the same time, only the 16GB base model of the iPhone 6 is subject to the limited period discount. The 32GB model isn’t.
It must be clearly understood that the iPhone 6 isn’t a bad smartphone. But, come to think of it, it doesn’t belong in the world we live in today unless of course you absolutely have to have one. Even if you’re a die-hard Apple fan, the iPhone SE makes more sense than the iPhone 6. The iPhone SE 32GB model is available for the same price on the same platform without any promotional offer. You can also avail up to Rs 15,000 off on exchange if you’re looking to get it cheaper still.
- Both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone SE have full-metal unibodies. Both the phones scream premium from every nook and corner. Design is, of course, subjective. The iPhone 6 and the iPhone SE will mean different things to different people and that’s understandable. Also, a lot will depend on how someone perceives their ideal smartphone to be. While the iPhone 6 is a 4.7-inch phone, the iPhone SE is a 4-inch one. Both the phones have front-mounted fingerprint scanners.
- The front of the iPhone 6 is carved out of ion-strengthened (curved) glass with oleophobic coating to protect from accidental spillage. If you were to talk about screen-to-body ratio, the iPhone 6 wins hands down. The iPhone SE, because it has wide chunky bezels, offers less real estate. Both the phones come with toggle switches to control/limit the kind of notification alerts that you want at any given time.
- While the iPhone 6 comes with a 4.7-inch HD IPS LCD display (750×1334 pixels) the iPhone SE has a smaller 4-inch borderline HD IPS LCD display (640×1136 pixels). Both the phones, however, offer more or less the same pixel density.
- The iPhone 6 is powered by Apple’s two-generation old A8 mobile processor (Dual-core 1.4 GHz Typhoon) clubbed with PowerVR GX6450 GPU and 1GB of RAM. The iPhone SE, on the other hand, is powered by the same hardware set as the comparatively newer iPhone 6S, which means, an A9 mobile processor (Dual-core 1.84 GHz Typhoon) clubbed with PowerVR GT7600 GPU and 2GB of RAM.
- While the iPhone 6 ships with a two-generation old iOS 8, the iPhone SE ships with iOS 9. Both the phones – Apple has announced – will be upgradable to iOS 11. Although, the iPhone 6 is upgradable to Apple’s latest software, you must know, that older phones not fully supporting new software updates isn’t surprising, even in the case of Apple. This is because most of the software features are designed keeping hardware in mind. You can’t expect to run everything as smooth as butter on old-gen hardware. Every new major iOS update seemingly has a reputation of slowing down an older iPhone/iPad leaving users both anxious and reluctant whether to upgrade or not.
- The iPhone 6 comes with an 8-megapixel rear camera with f/2.2 aperture, phase detection autofocus and dual-LED (dual tone) flash. 4K video recording isn’t supported. The iPhone SE, meanwhile, ships with the same rear camera as the comparatively newer iPhone 6S, which means a 12-megapixel camera with f/2.2 aperture, phase detection autofocus and dual-LED (dual tone) flash. 4K recording is supported. On the front, the iPhone 6 and iPhone SE have a 1.2-megapixel camera.
- While the iPhone 6 has a 1,810mAh battery inside, the iPhone SE is backed by a 1,624mAh battery.
The only reason to not get the iPhone SE – at Rs 21,999 and that is if you’re looking to buy the iPhone – is the screen size. You will get a smaller 4-inch screen with the iPhone SE, but, in all the other departments, the iPhone SE makes much more sense than the iPhone 6. After all, the 4-inch iPhone SE from Apple is everything that the iPhone 6S is (save 3D Touch) only in a 5S-esque body which means that it is a relatively newer-generation phone. The iPhone SE is more powerful, ships with more storage, and has better camera (and also better battery life) in comparison to the iPhone 6 at the same price.